Sunday, January 20, 2008

Man Trip

So I finally have to leave my mark on our blog. Andrea said that she had no business typing the blog for the Man Trip that I went on this weekend. On Friday, I met John and Stephen Worsham, friend's 0f ours from Durham, to go hiking up above Asheville in the Great Smoky Mountains. With predicted temperatures below freezing for most of the weekend and 4-6 inches of snow, we were prepared for a rough, cold weekend. We arrived at the trail head on Friday around 8 pm and got started on a little night hiking. After a nonstop climb for 3 hours, we finally found a site flat enough for our tents. This is a picture of me prior to the start of our weekend.




John's tent site on Friday. That's the trail to the right of him in the picture. Not exactly great trail etiquette but we weren't expecting much trail traffic this weekend.

John and Stephen on the trail just before the snow started falling. After all the anticipation, we actually only got a dusting of snow. All that you see on the ground was from the storm that passed through on Thursday. After the snow started falling, though, the temperature did drop noticeably.



After a hard day of hiking, there's nothing better than sitting by the fire in freezing temperature and enjoying an Old Speckled Hen that's been cooled by Mother Nature.



On Saturday evening, we had "Camp Spuds," John's creation of instant potatoes and spices. It actually tasted really good. After that, we sat around the fire keeping warm and enjoying some quality time with our pipes. We did sleep a lot warmer on Satuday night thanks to our fire.


So, there's my first blog. Hope you enjoyed pics from our Man Trip. Give me a call if you think you're up for it next year.



3 comments:

John & Alison said...

A respectable first blog entry if I say so myself.

Suzanne said...

Just looking at those pictures makes me cold. I don't think I could ever do that! Kudos to you Adam!!!!

Mary Beth Spann said...

Adam- you're nuts. At least you didn't fall in a creek (like Jonathan AND Donald).
Thanks for posting! I'm impressed.