Sunday, September 13, 2009

Camping

Labor day weekend we took the girls for their first camping trip. We've been wanting to take the girls camping for a long time but haven't been brave enough to do it until Adam's parents asked if we would like to go with them. What better way to experiment with camping than to go with grandparents who want their darling grand kids to stay with them in their tent!!! The girls and I headed up to Linville Falls Friday with Grandpa and Aunt Amy. When we got there we were able to get two of the tents setup before the bottom fell out. Thankfully we had Amy's landscaping trailer to keep us dry. Let me clarify, a dry place for Emma, Grandpa, and Amy to hangout because Maggie would have no part of staying out of the rain. I obliged to Mag's whining and we were off to explore, accompanied by a much appreciated hot pink umbrila (great for keeping the rain off of you but doesn't stop your pants for soaking up the water). It rained about 2 hours and just as it cleared up GG and Adam arrived to help us finish setting up and cook dinner. Oh, I can't forget to tell you that to add to the great start to our weekend of camping one of Mag's molars came in. We were hanging out in the trailer and she turned around and looked up at me and there was blood all around her mouth. Of course, I thought that she had gotten hurt and I jerked her up and yanked her mouth open to discover that her left top molar was breaking through the skin. We managed to get the girls fed and down for bed, we brought their pack-n-plays, and then we enjoyed an evening by the fire. Well, we got off to a little bit of a rough start but Saturday turned out to be a gorgeous day. Adam, Amy, and I enjoyed a morning hike while the girls hung out at the camp grounds with GG and Grandpa. They spent lots of time playing in the grass and going for walks. Later that afternoon we ventured down to the river to stick our feet in. I believe everyone's first words when they stepped in were along the lines "oooohhhh, that's a little chilly". After your feet went numb it was comfortable. Apparently the cold water didn't bother Maggie the least little bit. She walked around in it for a few minutes and then proceeded to sit down with the water coming up over her belly. She had the best time splashing and throwing rocks. After about 20 mins I think it finally dawned on her that she was cold so we got out, dried off and went to play in the sunshine, a great quick way to warm up especially when you are just in your diaper. Friday night was a little rough, both girls cried off and on all night but everyone slept like champs Saturday night. Sunday morning we got up earlier and packed up to head down to catch up with my mom and grandmother at our family reunion.

We had a great time camping even though it started out rough. The falls at Linville were beautiful and our morning hike was so refreshing. I'm glad we finally took the girls.

Oh, I forgot to mention that we had so much fun that we forgot to take pictures!

Here's two of the four picture that we took the whole weekend. Bathing the girls Saturday night.

No comments: