Last weekend Adam and I met up with our old friends from college in Chicago for a wonderful four day weekend vacation. Well, they are Adam's old friends from college, I am married in but they are awesome and I always wish I had been apart of their group in college (I love to hear their stories). They are all so fun and sweet, and all we do is laugh when we are together.
We arrived in Chicago Friday morning. Some how we managed to find our way from the airport to the city. We figured that we would catch the train since there was a big sign that said "Train to City". Of course we didn't have a plan, what's a trip without a little adventure :). The train put us out just a few blocks from the hotel so we grabbed all our luggage and proceeded with our hike. Poor Wes stepped off a curb shortly after we got the train and injured his ankle. We had some time to kill before JB and Amy arrived so we headed to the hotel and let the him ice his ankle. Don't worry he didn't let his swollen ankle slows us down, shortly afterwards we hit the Magnificent Mile. I don't have any photo's to prove it but it is appropriately named!!
Friday night we ate at this delicious restaurant Gene and Georgetti's. It was like walking in to a mob movie. We were a little nervous at first until JB figured out how to handle the seemingly unfriendly waiter. We were all friends by the time we left and the food was soooo yummy!
Saturday we slept in a little, got some breakfast, then hit the city.
JB trying out the pulpit in the 4th Presbyterian Church on Michigan Ave. The church has 6,000 members, not to mention that it is beautiful. Its ceiling looks like the inside of a upside down viking ship and the walls are flanked with stained glass windows that are wonderfully detailed (not sure why I didn't take a picture of them, I guess I was caught up in the moment).
The Field Museum…my brain was aching when we left. It was so big! And so full of great exhibits. We did not even go through them all because it would have taken the whole day and there were lots of other places we wanted to check out with our Chicago Go "Stop" pass.
But we hit the high points. Like Sue the most complete T. Rex in the world. Dinosaurs are fascinating.
And lots of other dinos, which by now I can not remember their names ;)
OOOOO, I know this one…Woolly Mammoth!
These are real African Elephants that a taxidermist preserved in Africa and bought them back to the States. I can not even imagine what that process would have been like or how long it took.
Next, Willis (Sears) Tower. And this is where JB rightfully renamed the Chicago Go Pass the "Chicago Stop Pass". After riding some crazy series of elevators; take one down, next one most of the way up, next elevator up the remainder of the floors to the top and finally we get to see this wonderful view of the city! It was worth the ride. When we got ready to leave we noticed that the line was really long and moving very slow which we would discover was due to a broken elevator so now there was only one to take us all down, it took forever! And it was a little nerve racking to be so high up with only one elevator going down!
These are real African Elephants that a taxidermist preserved in Africa and bought them back to the States. I can not even imagine what that process would have been like or how long it took.
There's the Hancock Tower (black building), which we visit later in the day.
This is the view of the Navy Pier from the Hancock building at night.
Another shot from the Hancock building.
Here is Hancock Tower. It is only 9 stories shorter than Willis tower but the views of the city are equally as beautiful!
On Sunday we slept in a little (notice a theme here), got some breakfast, waited out a rain storm under some scaffolding :), which ended at the prefect time for our architectural boat tour! The day turned out to be beautiful, clear, and prefect for mimosas while we toured the city on a boat. I am so glad we did the boat tour; it might have been my favorite experience but that's a tough decision. Tourig the city from the river was so unique and the architecture is beautiful.
Another shot from the Hancock building.
On Sunday we slept in a little (notice a theme here), got some breakfast, waited out a rain storm under some scaffolding :), which ended at the prefect time for our architectural boat tour! The day turned out to be beautiful, clear, and prefect for mimosas while we toured the city on a boat. I am so glad we did the boat tour; it might have been my favorite experience but that's a tough decision. Tourig the city from the river was so unique and the architecture is beautiful.Below are some of my favorite buildings: The Wrigley Building which was built in the 1920's and is full of these beautiful details! I love old ornate buildings.
Chicago has beautiful flower boxes everywhere you look. Its such a nice feminine touch to all the towering structures.
Willis Tower from the river
I love this building and how it was intentionally built to reflect the buildings around it.
This is the aqua building. I believe it's the tallest building designed by a woman (and yes that is one of the reasons that I love it) but I also love it's smooth cures and how it looks like someone poured a glass of water down it.
And Sunday night we headed to The Second City comedy club to laugh off the calories that we had consumed over the weekend. I have not laughed that hard in a long time.
Chicago has beautiful flower boxes everywhere you look. Its such a nice feminine touch to all the towering structures.
Willis Tower from the river
I love this building and how it was intentionally built to reflect the buildings around it.
This is the aqua building. I believe it's the tallest building designed by a woman (and yes that is one of the reasons that I love it) but I also love it's smooth cures and how it looks like someone poured a glass of water down it.
And Sunday night we headed to The Second City comedy club to laugh off the calories that we had consumed over the weekend. I have not laughed that hard in a long time.On Monday we ended our trip at the Navy Pier being kids and riding the rides.
And here are the other two mature adults stuck with my husband who is making fun of the "lean in".
Here are the mature adults cooperating for the photo on the Farris Wheel.
We may have lost but we blame it on the 15lbs purses we were lugging around ;)Sorry for the long blog but we had soooo much fun!!!
Kelly I emailed you the Drake photo so I would like an official blog that I am your new best friend with lots of details about how wonderful and smart I am ;)!!!!


No comments:
Post a Comment